Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Context, Connection, and Collaboration

There are three words at the forefront of my thinking in the beginning stages of my tenure as Superintendent. They are context, connection, and collaboration. I believe these concepts are at the heart of who we are as a district.

The District and General Council provides context for ministry in our doctrinal foundation, credentialing of ministers, network of churches, network of colleges, universities, and seminaries, world-wide missions, and organizational structure.

Within that context we have an opportunity to connect with our fellow ministers for mutual encouragement. Our district structure can help create points of connection, but that alone is inadequate. I encourage you to take the time to call or meet with another pastor or two or three for the purpose of relationship – no agenda except friendship. Encouragement, accountability, and learning flow naturally out of relationships with one another. Every so often I remember with sadness a missed opportunity in this area (no doubt I have missed more than I remember). Several years ago I felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to give a $100 Christmas gift from Radiant Church to a neighboring pastor of a small church. The board would have been enthusiastic about the idea, but I let it slide and did nothing. I robbed that Pastor of encouragement by my inaction.

Collaboration is achieved through structure and natural connections. AG World and Home Missions is a wonderful structure with diverse opportunities for collaboration depending on the vision of a local church and its giftedness. Collaboration can occur in a less structured manner as well as a church catches the vision to parent a new church or partner with a struggling church that needs revitalization. Together we can do more.

I am grateful God placed me in partnership with you.

No comments: