Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Rest in Christ

REFLECTIONS ON THE LAST TWO WEEKS: I had the privilege of joining Pastor Scott Bottoms and the leadership team of High Plains Christian Center for a retreat September 25-27. I filled in at Strasburg for a few weeks before moving to California over seven years ago and it was wonderful to see faithful leaders still working in the church and the addition of new leaders now part of the team. God is doing wonderful things in this church.

On October 5 Loretta and I joined Pastor Gene Roncone and the congregation of Aurora First Assembly for a ground breaking celebration at their new building site. The construction of their new facility is the culmination of many years of planning and work. I believe the Lord has great things in store for the future of this fine congregation.

In between those two exciting experiences was some normal work and then some heartache and complexity as I worked on some difficult situations in the Kingdom of God. Reflecting on the contrast between flourishing situations and hurting situations I realized no matter where you are, life can be very challenging. If you are “on a roll”, you can find yourself overwhelmed by the responsibility, and if you are “under a burden” you can find yourself overwhelmed by the pain. But, Jesus said, “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:29-30.

The law was seen as a yoke by Matthew’s Hebrew audience and the introduction of grace in the person, teaching, and work of Jesus Christ provided relief from the futile dependence upon one’s own righteousness. Being yoked together with Jesus Christ first of all means we are forgiven of our sins and in right standing with God through faith in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Second, we find assurance that in Christ we can find rest for our souls in the midst of the challenges of life “For we are God’s fellow workers...” 1 Corinthians 3:8. We are yoked together with Christ in the work He has called us to do. He takes the heavier part of the load and shapes the yoke to fit us. To find His rest; come to Him, take His yoke upon you, and keep learning from Him.

No comments: