Monday, December 12, 2011

CHRISTMAS AND FAMILY


This time of the year is a great opportunity to gather the family together, create memories, and grow deeper in our love for one another. Next to our relationship with God our families should be the most valued relationships we have. Loretta and I celebrated our 43rd wedding anniversary November 29th and I am very grateful to God for bringing us together. Much of life comes and goes, but family is constant. When I resigned from Radiant Church after 22 years as Pastor I noticed that many ministerial relationships faded. Of course, it was important that I detach from relationships within the church to avoid interrupting the new pastor’s leadership. When I pastored Bethel Church in San Jose, CA one fellow minister told me he wanted to be my friend as long as I was pastoring Bethel. His unexpected comment revealed a normally unspoken but understood reality that many relationships are the product of one’s profession or position.

After moving to CA, Loretta and I would sometimes ask each other, “do you feel at home yet?” In one conversation she said to me “wherever you are is home for me”. It was one of those moments when I realized how very important Loretta is to me. Loretta and my sons are my best friends and greatest encouragement whether I’m “on other’s radar or under their radar”. We all need healthy human relationships that remain through all seasons of life. Relationships built on commitment to one another and love for one another – in sickness and in health; in good times and in bad. This time of year is a reminder of the first advent of our Savior and His immeasurable commitment to and love for us. For me it is also a reminder of the priceless gift He has given me in my family. I pray your family relationships will be enriched and your marriage filled with love, grace, joy and peace.

Some of our ministers have lost family members to death in the last year; one of the greatest heartaches in life. I pray God will grant each one comfort in this Christmas season.

Have a wonderful Christmas!

No comments: