Thursday, April 5, 2012

CRITICISM

The morning I wrote this article I received a call from a Pastor who is dealing with criticism of his ministry by a parishioner. As we talked I noted his mature and thoughtful response. Criticism is a fact of ministry life. What you do with it is important to your effectiveness and your peace of mind.

First of all, decide whether or not to receive the criticism. If it comes in the form of an anonymous letter, the best policy is to throw it in “file 13”; preferably, without reading it. I must admit I have occasionally read an unsigned letter. However, I can’t say that reading an anonymous letter has ever helped me become a better minister. Usually it only frustrated me. If the critic is identified, give it consideration.

Second, consider the source. If the criticism is coming from a respected person, then take it seriously. If it is coming from a chronic critic, give it less weight. If it is a chronic critic who keeps repeating something you have already evaluated and acted upon, ignore it.

Third, prayerfully consider the criticism. It can be constructive. Keep an open heart and mind. This is not always easy to do, especially when it is delivered in a combative or threatening manner. Don’t let defensiveness or self-confidence blind you to areas that need correction or improvement. A wise leader will prayerfully evaluate criticism to see if it has merit.

Fourth, decide what to do with the criticism. If it corrects something that is wrong or helps you improve what you are doing, implement the idea. If it is not helpful, then set it aside and move on. Moses received and acted upon the criticism and counsel of Jethro. In so doing he helped Israel and himself.

Fifth, keep your spirit free. When you are the object of criticism it hurts. When the criticism is mean spirited, forgive the critic and let it go. When the criticism is helpful, humble yourself and receive the help it provides. Pride makes criticism unbearable. After you have decided what to do with the criticism, move on.

I recall a parishioner at Radiant Church several years ago who made an appointment to see me in my office. When we met she proceeded to list the things she did not like about Radiant Church. After listening to her complaints I told her “There are things about Radiant Church I don’t like either, and I am the Senior Pastor”. We are all a work in progress as are our churches. Eat the meat, spit out the bones, and keep going.

No comments: