Thursday, November 15, 2012

DECEASED?


While meeting with Superintendents from the Southwest Region in Sedona, AZ in late September, I played a round of golf with three other Superintendents.  Thankfully, some of our gatherings include recreation.  The starter at this beautiful golf course is a member of the AG church there and had arranged for our round of golf.  His name was Rolf and when I introduced myself to him on the first tee he said “there was a Don Steiger in Colorado Springs, CO”.  I said, “that would be me”.  I then looked at his name tag and we realized simultaneously I had been his pastor at Radiant Church in Colorado Springs.  It was a poignant moment as we gave each other a bear hug and caught up on personal events of the last few years.  He then said, “I thought you were deceased”.

Though his comment caught me off guard, I assured him that report had been exaggerated.  As we started the round of golf, I could not help but think of the meaning of being considered deceased.  What kind of influence did I have on Rolf and his family, had I lived my life pleasing to God, had I obeyed His plan to serve Him, did people who knew me get a glimpse of the Savior, are there people who will be in heaven because I spent a few years on this earth, did I care for and influence my wife, and children as I should have,…?  It brought what is most important clearly into focus.

You have heard it said, “there are two things that are certain in life; taxes and death”.  Though I do not think we should obsess on death, it is healthy to live with an eye on eternity.  The desire to hear our Lord say, “Well done, good and faithful servant” helps shape dally decisions.  Earnestly seeking to leave a legacy of respect and righteous influence for our children will keep us focused on godly living.  The realization we will be eternally rewarded for our faithful service to the Lord helps us stay the course in God’s will.

We are writing history every day and looking back can help clarify how to go forward.  I am not suggesting we live in the past.  Doing so will hold us back.  Resting on our laurels or living in regret will paralyze us going forward.  Learn from your past, thank God for the good things, and accept His forgiveness for your sins and failures.  Then focus on today and the days ahead intent on the wise plan of God.  “…I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me.  Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it.  But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.” (Philippians 3:12b-14).

No comments: